1. First off, I’d like to say that I’m amazed there is a 7 Quick Takes Friday round up this week. The usual hostess is in the hospital. But, she asked a friend to host it on her blog, and away we go. If I haven’t mentioned it lately, I am in awe – awe – of these mommybloggers.
2. I spent much of the holiday season, Thanksgiving through New Year’s Day, ill in ways that suggested quarantine would be only civilized. So I missed a lot of gatherings. Considering that large gatherings aren’t my favorite thing in the world, this was not altogether a disaster. I did miss having more time with visiting relatives, most of whom I barely know.
3. On those days I wasn’t a walking germ factory, one young visiting relative, age three, was kind enough to find ways that I could play with him even in my weakened state. Our joint favorite was where I stood in one place with my feet apart, and let him drive a remote control car between my feet. Or around my feet. Or into my feet. Did I mention that he’s three? And a boy?
4. The girls next door got a play kitchen for Christmas. And a play barbecue grill. The kitchen comes complete with a phone receiver hanging on the wall. The two year old loves to pick up the phone and say “Hi. Love ya. Bye. Bye.” and hang up. She is also very fond of toy horses right now. Incorporating her toys, I have caught her several times carefully grilling or studiously frying her toy horses. Thank goodness the toys only have play pretend heat.
5. Speaking of kitchens… Several friends have been campaigning on Facebook for butter, and against margarine. I’m with them there. The main reason I switched to margarine back in the day was because my husband and I didn’t use butter fast enough to get through a whole pound before some of it would sour. Then I discovered that butter freezes well. Such a deal. You can buy butter when it’s on sale, freeze it, and pull it out a stick at a time. Who knew? (I didn’t, that’s who.)
6. It’s cold outside, right at zero. I tried to take a walk yesterday, but between the slick, packed snow on the lane, and biting cold on my face, and the remains of a respiratory illness, I cut it short. It sure was a pretty day, though. We’ve had a lot of fog this winter. Clear days are such a treat.
7. Tomorrow is Shop Hobby Lobby Day. I’ve never been to a Hobby Lobby, but there’s one about an hour away, and it’s really close to a Chick-fil-A, which I’ve never been to, either. If weather and health permit, I’m going to vote for decency and freedom by doing a little business at businesses in the crosshairs of the Can’t Abide Morality crowd. I hope to meet some new friends, too. Here’s hoping for good roads and good health.
For more of this week’s 7 Quick Takes Friday posts, go here.
Read Full Post »